Monday, March 16, 2015

Fan Fiction

In general I don't read a lot of fan fiction.  Mostly because it tends to be found on the internet, which in turn means it has to be read on a computer screen.  For whatever reason I have a hard time devouring large amounts of text unless it's printed on good old fashion paper.

That said, I have enjoyed scanning through a number of entries in the LP Archive concerning video games like Dark Seed, the original X-COM, and Dwarf Fortress, as well as other little odds and ends found around the web.  By far my favorite piece of video game fanfic has to be Kleptomaniac: The Not-So-Bright Project, which is a rather hilarious retelling of the classic stealth FPS Thief: The Dark Project.  I've tried my hand at writing a few tales of my own.  The first I can remember penning was based on the old Lucas Arts game X-Wing.  Since I was a teenager at the time it actually predated Rogue Squadron by several years.  Other than that, I wrote about the obscure Mac game The Colony and Bunjie Studios' Marathon 2: Durandal.  More recently I've done some mission reports for Kerbal Space Program and now I'd like to share my latest outing; a sample of my Homeworld fanfic.  I must confess that I'm a big admirer of the Starfire-series by David Weber and Steve White, not to mention the Wing Commander novelizations (which I already discussed in detail here).  The setting for Homeworld is so rich it's very easy to project a far more detailed story than the one given in the actual game.  What I've done here is an attempt to be faithful to the original, but increase the scope and depth somewhat.  Since this is a bit long for a blog post I embedded the story below, just pick the button to view the whole text.  Hopefully it will be as fun for you to read as it was for me to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment