Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Insane Depth

Dwarf Fortress was once described to me as a game from a divergent timeline, one wherein video game development took a strange turn around the year 1980.  Instead of games slowly getting better and better graphics, the emphasis was placed entirely on under-the-hood environmental simulations, physics calculations and algorithmic generation.  In this alternate universe everyone is content with ASCII graphics because anything more advanced would draw processing power away from what really matters - emergent storytelling.

The Chronicle of Syrupleaf was the first Dwarf Fortress story I ever read.  At the time, I though the game was an interesting little curiosity.  However, I didn't dwell on it.  Later, I read Oilfurnace and it was only then that I began to see the potential of the game to inspire people to tell stories.  More recently, there have been epic sagas such as Honeystoker and Monster Slayer told with narration and artwork via youtube.  It's impressive stuff that can suck you in over time.  Almost paradoxically, the simple presentation invites your imagination to create vivid images that surpass anything that could be made from polygons and 3D animation.

I can remember the first time I played Dwarf Fortress.  nearly a decade ago, I started the game up in Adventure Mode and, not knowing the ins and outs yet, proceeded to explore a wilderness area at night without properly specing out my character.  Even though the visuals were quite crude, the game does a good job of conveying a mood.  Trees blocked my line-of-sight as I made my way up a forest-covered hillside.  Soon, I was discovered by a pack of wolves which (sensing an easy meal) proceeded to attack me.  A brief melee ensued and after being injured I attempted to flee, leaving a trail of blood behind me.  Predictably, the wolves finished me off not long after.  Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!  This game has one of the most brutal difficulty curves in video gaming history.  As fans of the game are wont to say though, "losing is fun!"

I think I'm going to give the game another proper shot in Fortress Mode.  It's an intimidating prospect since (by the developer's own admission) the UI is terrible and there's no in-game tutorial to speak of.  It appears these hurdles will be mitigated when the eventual Steam version of the game is released.  Even so, I'm kind of curious to try the original out so I can accurately compare it to new version when it eventually becomes available. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment