Saturday, May 8, 2021

A Not So Giant Bomb

As far as video game websites go Giant Bomb has been around for awhile.  It's not as old as IGN or GameSpot (not "Stop"), but unlike those places the core staff has remained largely unchanged...until now.  To be specific, Vincent Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, and Alex Navarro are all packing it up and heading off to do other things.  I can't say I blame them for wanting to move on.  Particularly since right now disruptions caused by the ongoing pandemic combined with the natural slump in new releases that occurs during the first six months to a year of every new console generation means there isn't a whole lot to play...or talk about.  Post PS5 launched we've only seen a few major releases...not that it is a problem for me...I've immersed myself in Satisfactory and am planning on playing Suzerain soon.

Digressions aside, there is one original founder who is still at Giant Bomb and that is Jeff Gerstmann.  Say what you will about the guy, he knows video gaming inside and out.  Plus, he wears his preferences on his sleeve.  I don't always agree with his tastes, but I respect him and am glad we'll be seeing more of him in the future.  As for the general downsizing going on, I can only hope that this is an opportunity to shake things up.  Maybe some new staff will get hired on with fresh perspectives and backgrounds different than the middle-aged white American males we've overwhelmingly seen there up until now.  I should emphasize that there's nothing wrong with being one, two or even three of the things I mentioned in the previous sentence.  It's just that I had to give up on the Giant Beastcast after Abby left because the conversations turned into what sounded like three different mouths all talking out of the same head.

Anyway...I don't want to complain.  It's all water under the bridge at this point.  Instead, I'll just wrap this blogpost up by saying I'm happy that Giant Bomb will still be around for the foreseeable future, but I'm also looking forward to seeing the inevitable changes that happen in the weeks and months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment